Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that leads to tingling sensations, numbness, and weakness in the fingers and hands. This condition usually occurs because of pressure on the median nerve, which runs from the forearm to the hand. When the median nerve is compressed because of surrounding bones and ligaments, you experience numbness and tingling sensations in your hands. Edison Spine & Pain Management curates a personalized, minimally invasive treatment plan to address the root cause of your carpal tunnel in Edison.
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel:
- Tingling and numbness in the fingers or hand
- Electric shock-like symptoms in the thumb and index fingers
- Radiating pain from the wrist to the arm
- Worsening symptoms while holding a phone, newspaper, or steering wheel
- Constant numbness in the hands and fingers
- Weakness in the hands
- Inability to hold objects firmly
The Root Cause of
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is primarily caused by the application of pressure on the median nerve, which runs from the forearm to the hand via the carpal tunnel passageway in the wrist. The median nerve provides sensation to the thumb and fingers, and it controls the motor functions at the base of the thumb. You may develop carpal tunnel syndrome if the median nerve is pinched because of injuries, fractures, or other factors.
Possible Risk Factors of
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
- Wrist fractures and dislocations
- Arthritis of the wrist
- Smaller carpal tunnels from birth
- Chronic illnesses that cause nerve damage, such as diabetes
- Inflammatory conditions that affect the tendons in the wrist, such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Occupations that involve working with vibrating tools
- Occupations that involve prolonged and repetitive flexing of the wrist
- Underlying medical conditions, such as kidney failure, lymphedema, and thyroid disorders
Schedule an Appointment
Edison Spine & Pain Management is a state-of-the-art medical center specializing in interventional pain management. Our team is led by board-certified physicians in Pain Medicine and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R). Instead of relying on addictive opioids or risky surgeries, we identify and address the root cause of your carpal tunnel syndrome using injections, physical therapy, and minimally invasive treatments. Please schedule an appointment to explore your treatment options for carpal tunnel in Edison.